May 1, 2009

Hiking

David and John in their backpacks.

Eric and I have discovered a new favorite pastime. Hiking! Actually, Eric has enjoyed it all along, but has just recently convinced me to like it. He bought some baby backpacks for us to carry the boys in, and now the whole family can go. Our favorite place to go is just north of Fernwood Park in Layton on a spur trail off the Bonneville Shoreline trail. It's pretty challenging with the babies on our backs, but easy enough for Ellie to join us without a problem. The beginning is a constant incline... killer, but worth it. It is a great workout. It is so fun when Ellie comes. She's HAS to be first, of course. She is a great lookout for bikers and poop on the trail, and calls it out when she sees either one. She is very encouraging. The first time she came, Eric taught her to take "baby steps" when going downhill so she didn't slip and fall. After learning that she was calling, "Baby steps, Mom!" to me the rest of the way. When we don't bring the family we usually go to Adams Canyon, but the boulders at the end scare me so we haven't made it to the waterfall quite yet. Eric has a bunch of hikes planned. Waterfall Canyon, the Paris Ice Caves, Tony Grove, and some in the Uintah's to name a few.

This picture was taken after the hardest part of the hike...a very steep hill. I'm sweating and don't look pretty. Luckily, the view behind me is great!

Eric and John on the bridge. Eric has to carry John because he's heavier. I'm not sure it's worth it. David pulls my hair and jumps all the way up the trail!

These next pictures were taken in the parking lot before the hike. I'm usually not smiling after...I just want to sit and rest my jelly-legs.



All this hiking can really wear you out!


6 comments:

Holfeltz Family said...

Look at you Miss Outdoorsey. Those backpacks look totally sweet! I have got to meet this little Ellie of yours. She sounds like a hand full and she's so darn pretty.

Camille said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! Cute boys in their back packs. We need to take lessons from you and get off our butts and exercise! : )

Ludlows said...

Yay for hiking! Zack and I want to start hiking once a week. I can't imagine carrying a kid on my back. Good for you! I just got a map with a bunch of the Weber Basin trails on it. I hope to get to use it this summer.

Abby Fowers said...

You don't look sweaty or anything! You look great! That is a fun past time. I need to do more hiking. My trouble will be convincing Nate to go! lol. Love the back packs for the boys and those stories of Ellie are great!

WheelersFamily said...

Double the exercise!! hahaha
Look how exhausted the boys are after a grueling day on the trails.
So funny!!!

My Sis needs one. Where did you buy them and how much?? I love that they have sun covers.

Matt&Melissa said...

How fun...good for being outdoorsy with your hubby! I'm always fighting it! We've been on that hike too...its my favorite place for kids also. We need to get together soon, maybe a barbecue...Matt got a new grill, so he has all sorts of parties planned!