July 14, 2009

Bear Lake '09

Each year around the 4th of July we take a long trip to Bear Lake with Eric's family. It is a good tradition. This year we really missed Matt, Erin, and Ben. We arrived at the cabin on Wednesday night. The kids were so excited to be there after the long drive. On Thursday morning we lounged around and just took it easy. Later in the afternoon we headed for the beach. True to his reputation, John LOVED the water. We could hardly keep him out of the lake. David wasn't so sure. It took him a few minutes to get used to the water. Neither one liked getting their face wet. Ellie put her new swimming skills to good use. She wasn't a bit scared of the water and showed her moves to anyone who would watch. She also had some good turns on the tube. All three kids had fun digging in the sand. They weren't the only ones... Bryan, Corey, and their friend Kyle made some amazing and castles.

Ellie digging in the sand.
David and John enjoying the sun.

Bryan, Corey, and Kyle's sand masterpiece.
Eric and David.

Friday morning we got up early and drove to Bloomington Lake. It was about a 1/2 mile hike to the lake after we arrived. The water was greenish and clear and really pretty. You could see all the way to the bottom. It's a glacial lake so the water is very cold. There was a tree with a rope swing that the older boys played on for awhile. Ellie really liked watching them swing, but assured us there was "no way" she was doing that. After returning from Bloomington we spent some more time at the beach.
Ellie about to throw rocks into the lake.
Corey's turn on the rope swing.






The boys decided to climb up the snow...crazy.



On Saturday Eric and I drove out to the Paris Ice Cave while everyone was on the boat. It was pretty cool. It wasn't really what I expected. I guess I thought it would be bigger and a harder hike. I was glad I didn't have to go far with David on my back. It felt so good in the cave...nice and cool. There was still snow and ice inside. It was worth checking out.

Eric and John looking down into the cave.

The view from inside the cave.

We had a great vacation!


6 comments:

Abby Fowers said...

How fun! How can there be so much up there to do that I wasn't aware. I'm going to have to check out that cave! I'm trying to ignore the snow pictures and pretend they don't exist! lol. You guys are such good parents. You always do the neatest stuff with your kids!

Ludlows said...

Fun. I love Bear Lake! I think I might have to look into those places you talked about. I love the kids swim suits. We are huge fans of swim shirts... now if we can just find some for us!

Candace S. said...

Wow, it looks like you guys always have SO much fun! You are such a great mom.
As for your comment about the free cat, well I WASN'T in the market and I really really wish I hadn't given in, but it's way too late to go back now! My kids are in love and I just stay in the house!! (they are outside only kittens)
I hope you guys are all doing great.

Destini said...

Looks like you guys have a great time up there. I sure do miss some of the "greater" aspects of Bear Lake.

Erin Morgan said...

The Bear Lake trip looked so much fun! I'm a bit sad we had to miss out on it this year. I can't wait to go up there when we get home. Ellie looks absolutely adorable, and the boys are so cute. I miss you guys! Hope things are going great. Let's chat on Sunday. I need some advice on getting Ben to eat his lunch and dinner better! :)
Take Care,
~Erin Morgan

Amber said...

What a great vacation. You guys really explore Bear Lake, we need to try that! Your kids are so cute. I have loved seeing them at tumbling and getting to chat with you a bit. Im sad we only have one class left :(