July 11, 2010

Uintas Grandaddy Basin Backpacking Trip

Backpacking trip to Grandaddy Basin in the Uintas this week, with Corey and my dad. We hiked from the Grandview Trailhead. Grandaddy Basin is on the south slope of the Uinta Mountains.

Dad climbing the rocky trail to Hades Pass from ~9,300 ft at the Grandview trailhead to ~10,700 ft.

From Hades Pass it is all downhill into Grandaddy Basin.




We camped at Betsy Lake.




Friday we did a ~ 7 mile loop hike and visited Fish Hatchery, Pine Island, Lilly, and Palisade lakes.

Fish Hatchery


Glacial deposit on the trail to Pine Island Lake.


Pine Island Lake


Palisade Lake


Ready for the hike out on Saturday morning.


Self-shot on the way back up Hades pass.


On top of Hades Pass. All downhill to the car.


Final thoughts:
It was a great trip. Rain every day, with lots of rain, thunder, and lightning on Friday night. I think everyone caught fish, but the fishing was kind of slow. Other groups we talked to said the same thing about the fishing. I would definitely visit this area again.

2 comments:

Eric and Maryn said...

I'm glad you had fun, but don't make plans for anymore trips too soon or I may go crazy!

You should've taken a picture of that gross blister on your foot. Nasty.

Benjamin said...

You call those fish????? Looks more like bait to me!!!!!

JK
Cari