In honor of our 10th Anniversary, I decided to write down our story. One day Ellie and the boys might think it’s cool. I don’t like big long wordy posts so I’m going to tell it in two posts.
I should start out by telling everyone that Eric and I lived exactly one mile away from each other growing up. That’s right…I said exactly. I know this because when I was a little girl by mom would take me and my sister Alaina on a walk each morning because we were always bored, and needed the exercise. That walk felt like a million miles to us. Of course we would only go a couple miles, but we had no sense of direction or distance. One day my mom measured it out for us in her car. Sure enough Eric’s house was one mile away from ours. We called his house “The Mile House” for a long time. I didn’t know it was Eric’s house until high school. Funny.
Eric and I have know each other for a long time, but we did not date until he got home from his mission. We weren’t even high school sweethearts. Really we were just good friends. In fact, we have been friends since probably 8th or 9th grade. We went to different elementary schools, but our groups of friends meshed in Jr. High. The reason we became friends is because Eric dated my best friend. (Back then we didn’t say “dated” because of course, we weren’t old enough to date… If a couple was together they were “going out". See the difference? Me neither.) Anyway, Eric was “going out” with my best friend, so we became friends too.
We stayed friends throughout High School even though he wasn’t seeing my friend anymore. In fact, after awhile I hung out with Eric and his buddies more than I hung out with her. We got to know each other really well. I truly loved those guys. I was like a sister to them. (Or maybe a pet…probably a pet that they fed and couldn’t get rid of. Still, I loved them!) Anyway, like I said, Eric and I never got together. He had other girlfriends, and I had other boyfriends. It’s kind of weird that I was friends with most of the girls Eric liked back then. Sometimes we tease each other about it.
I would be lying if I said I never had a crush on Eric in High School. I was totally jealous that he did not take me to our Senior Cotillion. That crush kept going until after high school. I mean, how dare he not date me, right? Then one day out of the blue we were hanging out and lo and behold, Eric kissed me. Yay! At that time all the guys were getting ready to leave on their missions, and I was having visions of being the best missionary girlfriend ever. Well, I guess Eric had other ideas because later that evening he gave me the “I’m going on a mission so I have to cut all ties with chicks” talk. Boo. I guess he was just filling his canteen. Obviously I forgave him. But still, how dare he not date me?
Look what I got! I’m a sucker for flowers.
3 comments:
Ah!!! I am so glad that you posted your story!!! So sweet!! Congrats!!!
Maryn, That is so cute! I can't wait for post 2, the story continues.
I'm so happy to be teaching Ellie this year! I've been getting my room ready and just love every time I get to put her name on something. :o)
Happy 10 years!! :)
Post a Comment